I have been extraordinarily blessed to have a plethora of godly examples in my life. Individuals who are not afraid to live lives less ordinary for the sake of the gospel.
Sarah Dunn is such a lady.
In a few short months, she, like my friend Kate, will be leaving behind all that is familiar because she believes the Lord has called her to minister to the Ugandan people.
Sarah is a compassionate, sincere and detailed-oriented woman, a successful architect for a local firm in Birmingham, and a completely devoted follower of Christ. Since I've known her, she has never failed to amaze me with her out-of-the-ordinary skills. Though she's slight of frame and meek of disposition, I’ve witnessed her man a tractor, start a campfire and lead a work crew. And somehow, she looks like a natural and is still every bit of a lady in the process! She’s pretty impressive.
Here’s a little of Sarah’s story, which, along with more on her plans as well as info on how to donate, can be located on her blog: http://dunnsar.wordpress.com/
As an architecture student at Auburn University, I discovered a Christian organization that utilizes the skills and education of architects and other design professionals. During the summer of 2002, I interned with that organization – Engineering Ministries International (eMi). While there, I visited and helped design an addition to an orphanage in Guatemala. The next year I completed my thesis project at the Rural Studio in rural west Alabama. After obtaining my architecture degree, I gained experience at an architecture firm in Birmingham, Alabama and completed requirements to become a registered architect.
Over the years, God has increased my desire to share the hope and love of Christ through the practical skills I’ve received as an architect. Building on my internship with eMi, I volunteered on short project trips to design a school in Kazakhstan, a clinic in Kenya, and a clinic/rescue center in Haiti. These short-term trips were instrumental in leading me to envision my life as a full-time staff architect with eMi. After much prayer and God’s work in my heart, I decided to follow God’s calling. I applied for a position and was accepted as a staff architect with the eMi East Africa located in Kampala, Uganda.
The support of my family, friends and church family is very encouraging to me. I am excited and honored to use this unique opportunity to help meet the physical needs of the poor and support other mission organizations. Serving with eMi is a small, yet tangible, way for me to share the love of Christ and make Him known.
I am excited to prayerfully and financially share in Sarah’s faith journey and hope to post updates on On.a.Whim throughout her tenure in Uganda.
Sarah and Kate, have both, by their life examples, been encouragements to me to push past my own earthly comforts, myopic nature and “knowns” to seek the Lord's will (not my own) in this life. I am currently praying for wisdom in where He is leading me to push past these boundaries and fears and live more fully for Him.
What about you? Have you been challenged spiritually in your life lately? It doesn’t have to necessary be in a call to the mission field. It could be in a new marriage, choosing to stay home your children, in a new job position, in singleness, in courage to share your faith. I would love to read your responses and think they would be an encouragement to others!
Please know how thankful I am for you and that, believe it or not, you are in my prayers. I want On.a.Whim to not only be an outlet to find recipes, silly stories and creative ideas, but also a place where you can be encouraged in your faith and share with others.
I’ll leave you with a pic of Sarah and I from two years ago. Enjoy the beginning of your week!
~Laura K.
4 comments:
WOW! Thanks, Laura. It is so encouraging to have a friend like you.
I've been blessed to know Sarah since our days at Auburn and I could not have said it better. She is such an example and encouragement! Thanks for sharing this.
Inspired!? I am and can't wait to read more about what you find out there to further God's kingdom! Thank you for sharing Sarah's story-and so many more! You're such a talented writer sweet Laura! Congrats on the column with Home & Garden! Woohoo!
You're most welcome Sarah! Can't wait to journey with you vicariously!
Thanks ABT - You are always so encouraging. Am so happy for you and Andrew!
Post a Comment