Monday, June 6, 2011

On.a.Whim Summer Booklist + Giveaway

Read all the way through this post to find out how you could enjoy On.a.Whim's June Giveaway!

I am excited to report that I read – from cover to cover – each of the spring booklist selections+ additional ones! Eric Metaxas’ biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer was absolutely stunning. Bonhoeffer’s life, family, devotion to God and experiences are unparallel to any others I have known. You cannot read this book and not be changed. I’ve selected his notable, The Cost of Discipleship, in the hope of gleaning more from his exemplary life.


John Steinbeck’s literary classic, East of Eden, made it’s way into my April reading, and I found myself not wanting to say goodbye to the Trask family. So, for my summer novel selection, I’m going with The Grapes of Wrath, and I’m inviting my Grandmother Marlene to read along with me. It’s always nice to have a discussion partner.

Am loving this vintage book jacket image!


Speaking of reading discussion partners – I am in a summer book club with six other girls. Our June selection is Jonathan Safran Foer’s Everything is Illuminated. I’m pretty excited about our little book club and the opportunity to read a book from a previously unknown-by-me author. Stay tuned for more book club updates!


I began John Piper’s classic Desiring God while at Auburn, but am now planning wanting to absorb it in its entirety.


In the month of May, I rekindled an old fondness for Elisabeth Elliot and read through my friend Rebecca’s copy of Passion & Purity in a week and a half. Within those pages are so many truths regarding biblical courtship and submission to Christ’s authority in our dating relationships. I was humbled, challenged and encouraged; so much so that I’ve already plowed through the book she dedicated to her daughter Valerie on biblical manhood and womanhood – Let Me Be a Woman.

I highly recommend both of these. In a time when gender identity, relationships and is dumbed down to the culture of the day, Elliot candidly reminds us of God’s enduring plan for his children regarding our sexuality and relationships.


Why wouldn't I want to read "the classic guide to intelligent reading?!"


A beautiful novel by a true Minnesotan. Only heard great things about this one!




How about you? What books are you planning to enjoy this summer while you’re at the beach, at home or on the go? I’d love to hear from you!


**Submit your response, and you’ll be eligible to win one of my all time favorite books + an On.a.Whim treat! Leave a comment by this Friday, June 10th to be eligible to win!**

Happy Reading On.a.Whim Friends!

10 comments:

laura.murphree said...

This summer I am hoping to finish a few books I have started. In April I started reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I recently started reading Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. Both are fabulous and extremely thought provoking.

Claire said...

Love this!! I'm reading A Wrinkle in Time along with my kids for next year - it's our summer read. Also want to read The Alchemist and re-read The Hiding Place. Excited about book club and hoping I didn't pick a disaster of a book!

Jennifer Womble said...

The next book I'll be reading is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's supposed to be wonderful, I'll let you know what I think in case you want to check it out.

Jill's Thrills said...

My hubs is reading how to read a book and the cost of Discipleship is a favorite of his. I just finished A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers and plan to read the next book in the series. Also this summer I will re-read The Hiding Place my all time favorite!

Galen said...

Water for Elephants! I think I'm a bit behind on this one, but I'm really looking forward to it.

lj said...

This summer I'll be reading Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey....not the most exciting, but still a necessary read. I hope to pick up some fun books as well and your reading list was very inspiring so I might just take one of your recommendations.

All Of A Sudden Life Is Amazing said...

I am reading Pride & Prejudice. I have loved the movie but never read the book.

Ashley said...

You know what- God really used you in my life yesterday. I started reading Bossypants because I like Tina Fey and 30 Rock. After reviewing your summer reads I thought about how uplifting a lot of them would be. Maybe not comically but spiritually. I wanted something funny to read. Sadly her book says GD too many times and it really wasn't all that funny.If it is in my control I do not want to put "negative stuff" in my life. I decided to sell the book on amazon and it has already sold in less than a day. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I may try Image and Spirit: Finding Meaning in Visual Art for my next reading book!

LauraK said...

Great book ideas so far! Ashley - thanks so much for sharing. There are indeed so many quality books out there. It's a shame to waste your time and money on ones that are not.

Christen Sloderbeck said...

Loved your post, Cricket! I too am a big Elisabeth Elliot fan. Currently, I'm reading The Rest of God-Restoring your Soul by Restoring Sabbath (M. Buchanan) and A Praying Life (P.Miller). I love them both so far and am challenged and encouraged by them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...