Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July Giveaway + Slimming Smoothies


Smoothie article in July/August issue of Health magazine.
Incorporating enough veggies into my diet has always been a struggle. Fruits are easy – even fast food restaurants serve them as a side item now. But, how can you get in the recommended 4-5 daily veggies?

Enter the great smoothie solution: Now I can eat my veggies before 8 a.m. and not even be able to taste them! This past winter, I enlisted the mighty kale. My leafy green choice for the summer is spinach, and here’s what typically makes it into my blender each a.m.:

1 cup vanilla soymilk
1 cup leafy green (spinach, kale, etc.)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 TBSP Chia seeds
1 frozen banana
½ cup other frozen fruit of choice (peaches, blueberries, strawberries, etc.)

In case you haven’t been introduced already, I’d like to show you this handy Blender Bottle that keeps my smoothies mixed and transportable:


One of these could be yours for free! Simply post a comment and become an On.a.Whim follower.


I’ll be giving away one of these fantastic finds on next Tuesday, July 12th along with some other healthy treats.

**ENTER TO WIN BY POSTING A COMMENT WITH YOUR FAVORITE SMOOTHIE INGREDIENT BY MONDAY, JULY 11th.**


If you are not already an On.a.Whim follower, follow to earn an extra giveaway entry.

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Laura!! What's a good cardio work out instead of running? You know I'm too lazy to run haha! If you weren't so far away I would enlist you as my trainer!! - lindsay

Lindsay said...

Oh try carrots instead of leafy greens. They are awesome in smoothies with bananas and pineapple!

Claire Melchiori said...

Chia seeds are my favorite smoothie ingredient... along with vanilla whey protein powder! :)

LauraR said...

This is our (almost) daily family smoothie: 1/2c almond milk, 1/2c oj, 4Tbs 9 grain rolled oats, 1/4c flaxseed, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2c fresh spinach, and 1c frozen mixed berries. Throw it in the Vitamix and this makes enough for Brandon, Haddon and me! (Haddon drinks about 16oz!) I have been known to sneak all kinds of things in our smoothies. Brandon doesn't even ask what is in them anymore :)

Zach K said...

Mmmm! Sounds delicious Laura. You'll have to make me one when jennifer and I come down this weekend.

sdunn said...

{You should be very proud that I'm posting}
I like to mix frozen, pureed mango with peaches, flaxseed, vanilla yogurt and almond milk. I haven't added veggies to the mix.
{Btw, the blender bottle looks like it would work well where electricity is questionable... hint, hint}

laura.murphree said...

My typical smoothie is banana, strawberries, spoonful of peanut butter, milk, and ice. I like my smoothies super cold.

Kat said...

STRAWBERRIES and BLUEBERRIES!
FUN giveaway!

Jenna said...

peanut butter, banana, yogurt or milk, ice and instant breakfast powder. kind of like a milkshake more than a smoothie, but delicious! :o)

LauraK said...

AHHH! I'm loving these smoothie ideas! Keep them coming! And guess what Runner's World has featured on their website today: SMOOTHIES. Check it out here:
http://bit.ly/qHAecg

Jennifer Womble said...

All natural honey is another great addition to a smoothie...a natural sweetener!

Liz and Brian said...

Blueberries and bananas!

Kristi said...

No smoothie is complete without banana...doesn't matter what I put in, seems the banana always pulls everything together.

Love the giveaway!

Kelly Mc said...

One ingredient I've found to be a staple in smoothies is plain yogurt. Vanilla yogurt tends to make it a tad to sweet for my taste. In addition to the known benefits, yogurt adds just enough cream for a thicker consistency. I also like to drink my smoothies out of a frozen mug. The last sip is so worth it!

LauraK said...

Congrats to Liz, winner of the July On.a.Whim Giveaway!

Stay tuned for August's treat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...