Sunday, September 5, 2010

Savoring Moments

A nasty sore throat had me out of commission today forcing me to live out the meaning of Sunday: REST. My only escapes from home were for a walk in the sunshine and a trip to Publix to gather ingredients for one of my favorite healthy fall dishes.

This chicken chili recipe is adapted from one of Bob Greene's Best Life recipes and is filled with fiber and iron from the kidney beans, lycopene from the tomatoes, and toxin removers from fresh cilantro which I also learned has strong anti-inflammatory agents for arthritis.

To make, dice half an onion and saute with half a TBSP of minced garlic.

Cook two chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts in olive oil and sprinkle with as much chili powder as you can handle. Add your sauteed onions and garlic to the mixture.

Then rinse and drain two cans of light red kidney beans.

And pour into the pot with your chicken.

Pour in two cans of Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes.

Bring the mixture to a boil then turn down the heat to a medium simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

Add in about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.

Cook for another five minutes and then serve up with Parmesan cheese and blue corn chips.

Freeze leftovers in individual containers and enjoy over and over again!
Here's my lunch for at least two days this week!

I got to share yesterday afternoon running with two of my favorites, my Bestie and Baby Rollins. Kat had a 7.8-mile route marked out for us. We couldn't have asked for better weather or a happier baby.

One thing I will say is running while pushing a jogging stroller ain't for the faint at heart. I pushed the first three miles, and my back was on fire when we finally reached our 3-mile marker rest stop.

I know I'm always saying how much I love running, but I really can't think of any better way to spend a cool, late summer afternoon than logging miles.

And, it never hurts to have adorable running companions! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...