Sunday, July 3, 2011

Independence Day Blueberry Scones

To commemorate the 4th of July weekend, I made these delicious blueberry scones. Scones are a lovely breakfast item, a nice mid-day snack to be enjoyed with coffee or a light evening dessert. Oftentimes considered an English treat, they serve as the perfectly ironic choice to celebrate our independence from Mother England.


In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar,
2 tsp. grated lemon rind, 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 large egg.
Whisk away!
Add 2 cups flour, 1 TBSP baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt.
Cut in 3 TBSP chilled butter with two knives.
Cover hands with flour to prevent sticking.
Place dough on a floured surface.
Pat into a small mound.
Fold in 1 cup fresh blueberries.
James Oliver, Kitchen Supervisor
Folding
Beware of escaping blueberries.
Some light wrangling may be required.
And more folding.
This is what happens when you forget to reapply flour to fingers.
Create a round disk with blueberry enfolded dough.
Cut in half with floured knife.
And then in eighths.
Place on greased cookie sheet.
I detest cooking spray which explains the liberal smathering  of  butter.
Bake at 375 for 18 minutes or until golden. 
Happy Independence Day On.a.Whim Friends!

5 comments:

Karen Connor said...

YUM! We have a ton of fresh blueberries and I can't wait to make this...I'm going to use whole wheat flour...!

ashley martin said...

Wow. These look amazing. I also enjoyed a few chuckles thanks to your comments :) I'm definitely adding to my things to make list!

Kat said...

This looks scrumptious! I'm a little disappointed you didn't bring me a bite. But then again, why would you when Hank wouldn't share his ribs!

LauraK said...

Thanks ladies!

And yes, Kat, I'll be sure to bring you and Ro (only) baking samples next time!

Jennifer Womble said...

yum, yum...i can't wait to try these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...