Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yummy as a Clam


The seafood section at Whole Foods Market gets me in trouble. After five years of living in landlocked Birmingham, I forget fresh seafood exists. Then, as I’m leaving the produce area, the aroma of lobster bisque and gumbo drifts from the seafood counter luring me to come hither. Before I know it, my cart is loaded with salmon steaks, Maryland crabcakes and seafood salad.
Friday night I was itching to try out a new recipe. After searching MyRecipes.com for a bit, I came across a seemingly simple Linguine with Clam Sauce recipe from Cooking Light. Not only was this recipe simple, it called for only a few ingredients which were not already in my cupboard. Here’s my modification that makes more than enough for two people.
Ingredients
1/3 package linguine – I used capellini instead because I prefer a thinner pasta.
2 TBSP unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces clam juice or chicken broth
1 (6 1/2-ounce) can minced clams, undrained
14 littleneck clams, scrubbed (these were only 37 cents each at WF)
½ cup finely chopped parsley
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice

Preparation
1. Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook three minutes.
3. Stir in wine, salt, and clam juice. Drain minced clams; add juice to pan (reserve minced clams).
4. Simmer for five minutes. Add littleneck clams; cover and steam four minutes or until the shells open. Remove from heat, and discard any unopened shells. Add reserved minced clams, parsley, and lemon juice.
5. Place pasta in a large bowl. Add clam mixture to pasta, and toss well. Serve with salad and warm bread.

3 comments:

laura.murphree said...

i love clams. glad to have a new recipe.

lj said...

Yummo! I'm going to make this one. Thanks for another great recipe, Cricket! Keep 'em coming!

LauraK said...

Thank YOU for reading and commenting! Y'all are the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...