Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Brunch

We enjoyed Easter brunch at my humble abode on Sunday. Though I didn’t get a ton, here are a few pictures from the holiday. Our spread included zuchinni muffins, cobblestone cake, Whitney’s grits pie (recipe featured at bottom), breakfast casserole and fruit salad.

I learned a very important lesson – the way to this man’s heart is in biblical commentaries. He looks like a kid on Christmas morning here.


GRIT'S PIE
Courtesy of Whitney

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1 9-inch frozen pie shell

Place the pie shell aside to thaw.

3/4c water, a dash of salt, 1/4c quick-cooking grits, 1/2c butter (1 stick)

Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add grits and cook approx. 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the butter and cook an additional minute or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.

3/4c sugar

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

3 lightly beaten eggs

1/4c buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Stir these five ingredients together; add to slightly cooled grits. Pour all into the pie shell, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set/firm.

Serve warm or cold with whipped cream (the real stuff) and strawberries.

*I prefer the pie served slightly warm with a small dollop of cream. I don't like warm strawberries, so I usually just serve fruit on the side. :) Enjoy!

3 comments:

danielle p. said...

Very cute little Easter displays. I think we saw you late Friday in downtown Homewood. Steven and I were both like "Is that...?"

LauraK said...

Hey! Yes, you must have. Benj and I had Jackson's and then walked a bit around downtown. Do you live here? If so, we should gather some local bloggers and do dinner!

Katie Massey said...

I am definitely going to try the Grits Cakes recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...