Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ode to the Pear: A Delicious Fall Salad

After spending Saturday morning with my sweet friend Miss Marcie a couple weeks ago, I stopped by my parent's to share some more kitchen time. Mom already had a delicious roast in the ready so I opted for a festive pear, romaine and gorgonzola cheese salad, a variation of one I found in this month's Health Magazine. Not much of a pear person, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the aromatic flavor of these Bartletts mixed with the other fresh ingredients, including homemade croutons!



Who knew making croutons was such a cinch. I gathered up the following:
-EVOO
-1 slice of chopped bread (any type will do; I had wheat on hand)
-Spring of Rosemary, chopped
-Clove of Garlic, minced
-Handful of Walnuts, chopped

Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl. I used clean fingers to keep from dirtying a spoon.

Spread contents on to a baking sheet, and bake on 400 for 5 minutes.
The spicy rosemary will fill your kitchen with a delicious, savory scent.

While croutons bake, chop pears into cubes.


Remove croutons from oven; cool.
Chop lemons in quarters.
Wash and pat dry romaine. Pull leaves apart and chop as desired.

For dressing, whisk together 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk, 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, pinch of pepper and strong squeeze of lemon quarter.

Arrange lettuce on serving platter.

Top with other ingredients finishing with croutons and then dressing.

In other news, my Aunt Lis made me this whimsical painting in exchange for some design work I did for her. The blackbirds are now adorning one of my bedroom walls and look quite charming!

If you're deciding on Christmas presents, perhaps you should have her create a(some) custom painting(s) for your loved one(s)? She has canvasses in all shapes and sizes and is open to creative ideas!

I also received requests for pics of my mother's fall decor. Here are a few. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Jennifer Womble said...

That salad looks wonderful!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...