After a little bit of finagling, I finally convinced mother dearest that her recipe should be shared with On.a.Whim readers. So, take a look below and enjoy baking a plethora of poppy seed cakes for your loved ones!
WARNINGS:
*This is absolutely NOT a healthy recipe.
*If there is any chance you may be drug-tested in the near future, please refrain from poppy seed consumption as On.a.Whim is too poor to be held liable.
Mother says the most important ingredient for her cake is this VERY SPECIFIC type of Duncan Hines cake mix. If you use any other variation, it just doesn't taste the same.
"Butter down" a bundt pan - coat completely. We use unsalted stick butter. See below.
This bundt pan is older than dirt and certainly older than me, but I just love it in all of it's rusted, hideous glory.
Only God knows how many poppy seed cakes it's baked!
and four eggs (I like how these have the Susan G. Komen ribbon imprinted on them).
Pour the cake mix in your mixer,
Crack eggs, one at a time, into the mixture.
And then pour in 4 TBSP of the good stuff: poppy seeds!
Once batter is a smooth consistency, remove mixture beater(s) and pour batter into the greased bundt pan. Use a spatula to scrape out all the goods.
Bake on 350 for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes:
Hope you are able to prepare this delicious cake this holiday season. Let me know how it turns out! HAPPY NOVEMBER FRIENDS!
4 comments:
How long have we known each other, Miss Laura? That is how many years you have kept this cake from me. When can we bake & visit?
Yummy!!! What beautiful pictures, my dear. I have seen this recipe before and have actually made versions myself. You can switch out the pudding flavor and the "additions" to give it a different taste. My mom always made the one with chocolate fudge pudding and semi-sweet chocolate chips (sour cream makes it super-moist). I love the one with vanilla pudding, pecans, and a rum glaze; it's like rum cake!!!! But, like your mom says, you MUST use the Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe BUTTER RECIPE GOLDEN cake mix. :)
Looks delish! I will have to try this one for sure! Can you please post pictures of your mom's fall decor! It looks so beautiful and as I try to look past the yummy cake I just can't help but wonder what the rest of the house looks like.
Anytime Kat; name the date, time and recipe and let's go at it!
Thanks Whit!
Hey Pee Wee - check my next post for pics from mom's house.
Post a Comment