Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Simple Spicy Tomato Soup

It was a dark and stormy Tuesday night...

After pushing through a strenuous strength workout, I was craving simple, delicious and healthy. So I decided to up my lycopene intake and grabbed a can of whole, peeled tomatoes from the pantry to serve as the main ingredient of dinner.

In addition to the 28-oz can of whole peeled plum tomatoes, I gathered:

2 TBSP EVOO
¼ tsp red pepper flakes (any more than that and your mouth will be on fire!)
1 TBSP minced garlic
½ diced medium white onion
20 oz low-sodium chicken broth
Salt & pepper to taste

Heated EVOO in a large pot over medium heat.

Sprinkled in the red pepper flakes:

Added diced onion + garlic to the mix and sauteed away for about five minutes:

On the side, I poured the tomatoes in a blender:

So pretty:

Closed them up:

And pulsed lightly; it only takes about two pulse pushes since the tomatoes are already so soft.

Back to my pot, I poured in the chicken broth/stock.

Followed by the pureed tomatoes:

Brought the mixture to a boil. Simmered for around 15; stirring periodically.
Luckily I had some fresh mozzarela (my absolute favorite!) that I chopped into pieces as well as fresh basil. I poured a cup and a half of the soup into a pour, sprinkle with the cheese and basil and then served with a couple chunks of fresh french bread with olive oil & basil on the side. So easy and quite scrumptious!
This recipe serves 4.


3 comments:

laura.murphree said...

I made the muffins last night and they turned out great. FYI, I did a little tweaking and they still turned out great. I took out the apples (for Kyle) and instead of doing 1/2 c of whole wheat flour and 1 c of all purpose flour I reversed it to make it a little healthier. Thanks for the recipe!

Kat said...

Forget the food... look at the oh so stylish dark nail polish! For someone who doesn't act like they are interested in fashion you sure have impressed me the last few days :)

LauraK said...

Yummy Lmac - you could also try substituting cranberries for the apples if Kyle can handle that texture!

It's my new Halloween-inspired Goth look; toes match as well. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...