Friday, October 8, 2010

On.a.Whim Interiors Take One

Every now and then, On.a.Whim readers see postings on my blog and ask me to replicate, create or design like versions of what was posted. When this happens, I can’t help but squeal with delight that A.) someone else shares my taste and B.) that I can provide them with the fruit of my (albeit very meager & fledgling) talents. I would think it’s kind of like the feeling a painter gets when someone asks them to paint a mural on the wall of their living room or when a writer is approached by a certain publisher and asked to write a book for them.

When my co-worker Kelly asked if I’d like to help with updating the interior design of her home, I was flattered and thoroughly invigorated to create, create, create. Kelly and her husband Eric have resided in their lovely 1940’s Homewood cottage for the past seven years. Since moving in, they’ve accumulated two little girls, two adorable pups, many pieces of furniture, and many other accoutrements of family life.

A busy mom, wife, full-time employee, and volunteer (among many other roles), what Kelly hasn’t had time for is putting the finishing touch on the inside of her home. And, that’s where I get to step in! Kelly’s request was for her home to be uncluttered, charming and still kid-friendly. And her deadline was set for mid-November when she’s having family in town for her little one’s christening. We decided to begin with her study which also happens to be the first room you enter from the front door. If she liked my updates, I’d proceed through the house.

I knew the process would take some time, thought and a little elbow grease, but what I didn’t anticipate was how much FUN I’d have in the process. I love to shop and have been dying to decorate but am currently in an apartment (saving for my own little cottage) and don't want to spend money decorating a space I will not be in long. This opportunity is a dream come true!

The first set of pictures are the before shots. Beautiful room with lots of light:

Full bookshelf and desk


Kelly was hoping for some organization of the bookshelf. She wanted to keep the momentos, pictures and pieces that have special meaning, but make it look less cluttered.

If you can see behind Kelly's precocious little one, there is a really cool antique chair from Eric's grandfather stuck in the corner. We wanted to bring this into a more central location where it would be more usable and appealing. Also, see the below picture of the bookshelf. Kelly felt like there they were overstuffed, unorganized and needed something on the top of them.

And, voila!
(I apologize these pics are a little dark - they were taken at night)



The bookshelf is now rearranged with a mix between meaningful book selections, photos and a clock. The black and white photo in the bottom section is of Eric's grandfather playing professional baseball.

I got these super cute insect pictures at Three Sheets.


We took her antique eclectic chair and added a chic faux fur throw, postage stamp pillow, side table and clock to create a cozy corner for Kelly to sit in and talk with Eric while he works at his desk.

Moving the desk to the side makes the room more easy to move about, allows Eric to use the bookshelf as a place to store files (there are three drawers in the bottom section of the shelf) and eliminate clutter on the desk top. There is also a now a basket to store magazines to the left of the desk and a new, tall lamp that matches the room.

It's amazing what some rearranging and a few additions can do to a room. I can't wait to get started on the living room!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...