Friday, March 12, 2010

HAPPY FRIDAY FOLKS!

I'm so very excited about this weekend! Janathin is coming in town, and we've made a bunch of fun plans with each other, family and friends.

Blake and I are finishing up the third part of the XTerra Alabama Trailrunning Series at Oak Mountain on Sunday morning. We're hoping to continue our first place lead in our individual age divisions so that we'll make it to the National Championships in Oregon next September. I'm going to need as much help as I can get because my training has been absolutely pitiful! Work, food poisoning and this past week's croupy-crud has left me weak and untrained! Please pray!

Did you know the world's largest doomsday vault is in Svalbard, Norway? Take a look: http://www.norwaypost.no/content/view/23321/26/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

My great grandfather Andrew Andersohn (Americanized to "Anderson" when he came through Ellis Island) is from Norway and made passage to New York on one of the very last Norweigen schooners when he was 13.

I think it's fascinating that more than half a million unique samples of seedlings reside in this seed vault. According to Cary Fowler, the Executive Director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust, Svalbard is a fail-safe backup critical to averting a food crisis in the case of natural or man-made disaster or global warfare!
One more lagniappe (extra little something) for you. This is the coolest foodie website with beautiful pictures. Check it out and be inspired: http://www.tastespotting.com/
Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Jennifer Womble said...

Good luck with your race this weekend! Knock 'em dead sis!!

Claire said...

Laura! Just found your blog...so excited to know you have one! I will add it to my list of daily reads. Miss you at Redeemer... we should get coffee sometime!

claire h

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...