So, the next night while Alabama was taking on the Gamecocks upstairs, a handful of the kids (young and old) were meticulously carving up pumpkins downstairs in the basement.
First, pick a pattern for your pumpkin. If you google "Free Pumpkin Carving Patterns," you'll find a slew, but I like this particular site: http://www.pumpkinlady.com/pattern.htm
For under $3 you get a pdf pattern that you can print and reuse as many times as you like.
Next you'll need to pick out your pumpkin; we lucked up and found a nearby pumpkin patch at Asbury United Methodist Church. I've learned from experience that gourds, though aesthetically pleasing, often have a denser center and are thus more difficult to cut. We picked out a selection of orange pumpkins and a miniature white one.
Assorted pumpkin crowns.
Next step is removing all the innards from the pumpkin. Elizabeth and Emme illustrate that this task can be a full-body, two-person one. Trash the seeds or rinse them for toasting.
Next you'll need to "poke" your design on the face of the pumpkin to make cutting easier and your design more accurate. I used a nail to trace mine.







2 comments:
Dana and I's?
We have 2 pumpkins that need carving. We could make them Christmas themed.
Post a Comment