Monday, October 26, 2009

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Every Sunday night a familiar aroma fills our home. The fragrance of homemade blueberry muffins ushers in a new week of deadlines, possibilities and coffee breaks.

For a healthy and filling on-the-go breakfast, I've found this delicious recipe from eatbetteramerica and have made some small adaptations. There are two ingredients that make this baked good so very good for you:

Local Honey

and Whole Wheat Flour.

Heat your oven to 400 degrees and place muffins cups in your muffin tin; I usually only use nine of the 12 "muffin holes," but feel free to make 12 smaller muffins.

Whisk 3/4 cup fat-free milk, 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup honey and one egg in a large bowl.

Stir in 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3 tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt until all the ingredients are mixed together.

Fold in 1 cup (half bag) of frozen blueberries. Using real, whole blueberries is so much more tasty and healthy than those canned pseudo-blueberries found in pre-made muffin mixes!

Folding...

In a separate, small bowl mix together 1 TBSP of packed brown sugar and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon for muffin topping.

Spoon muffin batter into muffin tin; sprinkle topping on each one.

Bake for 20 minutes on 400.

I've found that if you let the muffins cool and then seal them in a container ,they can make it all the way to Friday. Grab one on the go with a banana for a delicious, well-balanced meal. 

5 comments:

Jennifer Womble said...

YUM! Can't wait to try these!

Sarah Gill said...

oooo my mouth is watering! I shouldn't read your blog when I am hungry!!

Anonymous said...

Hey I recognize those bowls!! Sounds amazing!

Jill's Thrills said...

I meant the bowls must be the same ones from college, memories and yummy food.

natalie said...

I'm ready for another batch of these :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...