Thursday, August 25, 2011

When Life Gives You Pears...

Make a pear tart, and serve it with vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip!


Very much On.a.Whim, I decided to attempt pulling off this fruit pastry in time for home group last night. Let's just say that my kitchen had a come-apart, I was 30 minutes late to home group and was in such a fluster when I finally arrived on the Kling’s street that I went into the wrong house, two doors down!

The result was a not-completely-done crust and pear slices that looked more like scalloped potatoes rather than delicately sliced and arranged pears. However, I was inspired, and when I have more time and another opportunity, I’m going to try my variation of this Sunset magazine recipe again:

Ingredients:
1 sheet (about 10x12 in.) frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 or 3 firm-ripe pears
½ cup orange marmalade
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 TBSP brown sugar

1.    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter baking sheet.
2.     On a floured surface with rolling pin, roll out pastry to 16 x 18 in.
3.     Cut pastry into fourths.
4.     Core pears and cut into thin wedges. Arrange delicately, slightly overlapped on pastry rectangles.
5.     Warm marmalade in on stove-top over low heat, stirring frequently.
6.     Brush marmalade then egg wash over entire pastry.
7.     Sprinkle entire pastry with brown sugar.
8.     Bake until pastries are richly browned, about 25 minutes.
9.     Serve warm or at room temperature with Cool Whip or ice cream.

*A special thanks to the precious one who provided me with a plethora of pretty pears.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...