Mom sent me off to Huntsville Friday a.m. with a true breakfast of champions: French toast, fruit and coffee from Another Broken Egg Café.
When I made it to the Massey’s in the early afternoon, I was surprised at how calm the house was. It seemed like Katie’s brother Matt, mom Ace and aunt and uncle were steadying themselves by focusing on what they could do: eat, talk with the nurse, and make Mr. Ronny as comfortable as possible. I’m amazed at how deeply this family loves one another, and how they trust the Lord. To give Katie a break, I took her to the movies to see Eat, Pray, Love. A call from the nurse had us rushing back to the house before the movie ended because he thought it was Mr. Ronny’s time. Please pray for this precious family. This is a sweet, somewhat recent picture of Katie with her dad.
I spent Friday evening with the Reynolds. Cat and Jon are newlyweds who moved to Huntsville a couple months ago to start their new life together. Although I miss seeing Cat every day at work, our lunch outings and her precious friendship, I’m happy that she’s doing well. Cat made a delicious spaghetti casserole, homemade bread and sautéed zucchini for dinner. Afterwards, Jon refreshed me on the game o f Backgammon and then I headed off to bed pretty early to prepare for my 4:50 a.m. wake-up call.
The race was great, but I was honestly preoccupied with thoughts of the Masseys. I knocked time off my swim and overall time finishing at 1:49:21. For next year I’ll continue focusing on the swim, but add in some cycling. I only got to ride once on Blake’s bike and maybe rode a total of five times total in preparation for the race. My rear end is feeling it! :)
Here's Mandi, me (changed into race T-shirt), Suzanne, Karen, Heidi and her 3-month-old Lilly
I hauled back to the Murphrees’ in Huntsville, showered, went with Lmac to see Eat, Pray, Love for the second time (this time I saw the ending), and then took a long nap.
Here’s me and Miss Kylie after our naps.
And the Murphrees: Precious friends since college days!
The Tews celebrated my race finish Sunday evening with loads of gourmet food. I'm serious, these people know how to cook! Uncle Steve and Aunt Lisa were supposed to run in a 5K in Birmngham Satuday a.m., but the race (a Godsend) washed them out.
Me, Daisy and Elizabeth.
Grilled Filet Mignon,
Roasted potatoes,
Garlic bread, Caprese salad,
and a delicious yogurt parfait.
This weekend, I was reminded more than ever the value and gift of friends and family. Hope you have a blessed week and are able to enjoy some quality time with your own!




No comments:
Post a Comment