Thursday, April 15, 2010

Buttermilk Pie

If sweet tea is the house wine of the South,
Buttermilk pie is Dixieland's dessert.
Last spring I came across this write-up in the Birmingham News about native Alabamian, Robyn Porch's adorable, home-grown business.
Always a sucker for southern recipes, I baked my first buttermilk pie (using a Pillsbury Pie Crust), and have never been the same!

This pie, which can be served piping-hot-right-out-of-the-oven, room temperature or chilled, is a showstopper. Visit Robyn's website to learn about the history of Porch Pies: http://www.porchpies.com/

I've adjusted Robyn's recipe a tad bit to make it a little less sugary + added a touch of cinammon.

The two main ingredients for buttermilk pie:
1 stick unsalted butter + 2/3 cup buttermilk.

Melt that stick of butter and whisk together with three eggs.

Stir in:
3/4 cup buttermilk,
1/2 tsp vanilla extract,
2 TBSP all-purpose flour,
1 1/2 cups sugar,
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinammon

Pour into pie crust (pre-made or from scratch, your choosing).

And bake on 350 for 50 minutes.
This is one recipe, I can guarantee you'll enjoy!

8 comments:

Beaver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer Womble said...

This pie is one of my favorites!!! Maybe we should have this as "race fuel" next Friday night?

Beaver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lauren said...

mmmmm i love this recipe! i will have to try it with your additions...it sounds great!

LauraK said...

Yes, cheese dogs, coronas and buttermilk pie will make a lovely post-race meal!!!

Kyle said...

Hmmm...buttermilk pie. Oh, what could have been. :(

LauraK said...

My most sincere apologies to you and Laura, Kyle. Next time I'll bring TWO buttermilk pies! Thanks again for letting us stay. It was great fun!

Kyle said...

Im holding you to that :). We had a great time. Look foward to seeing you again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...